Thanku: Poems of Gratitude
How do you give thanks?
Gratitude isn’t something we need to save up for a special holiday. What are you grateful for right now, today?
This anthology brings together a diverse group of poets who express gratitude for everything from a puppy to hot cocoa to the sky itself. Each writer uses a different poetic form, and readers will encounter a concrete poem, a sonnet, a pantoum, a sijo, and much more.
Contributors include Jamie McGillen, Kimberly Blaeser, Sun Yung Shin, Naomi Shihab Nye, Charles Waters, Janice Scully, Jane Yolen, Traci Sorell, JaNay Brown-Wood, Cynthia Leitich Smith, Margarita Engle, and more. Stunning illustrations from Marlena Myles invite close examination, making this a collection to return to and savor again and again.
Awards & Honors
- Lectio Book Award Master List, Long-listed, 2021
- Notable Books for a Global Society Notable Book, Winner, 2020
- ALA Notable Children's Books, Winner, 2020
- NCTE Notable Children's Book in the Language Arts, Winner, 2020
- Children's Book Committee at Bank Street College Best Children's Book of the Year, Winner, 2020
- Chicago Public Library Best of the Best Books, Winner, 2019
Praise for Thanku: Poems of Gratitude
"Beautifully written and illustrated, this book reminds us that there are many simple things in life for which we can be grateful every day. It’s also a fantastic tool for teaching young children about different forms of poetry. A delight!" ― Cath T.
“Lovely lyric lessons in appreciating the ordinary.” — Kirkus Reviews
“[T]his attractive and accessible collection should be popular with browsers and useful for creative writing classes.” — Booklist
“[A] thoughtful resource for poetry students and teachers.” — Publishers Weekly